Monday, May 21, 2007

I Drove Green!

So I was thinking about what kind of mileage I get in my own car (a 2002 Daewoo Nubira sedan) and realized I basically didn't know, but suspected it was lower than I should be getting. So I decided to start a series of three tests to gauge my gas usage. Last Wednesday morning, I filled up my tank and hit the tripometer. Then I started mentally recording where I drove: - Three commutes (city) - One trip to Ralph's (city) - Round trip from Burbank to Laguna Niguel (highway) - Miscellaneous driving around Laguna Niguel (city) - One way trip from Burbank to Vista (highway) City: 6%. Highway: 94% (with serious traffic for probably half the highway trips). I forced myself to drive the whole thing with slow takeoffs, maximized coasting, and other good fuel economy driving practices. Further, as much as it hurt me, I limited my freeway speed to 70 MPH. All in all it was an even 294 miles and it took me 10.5 gallons of gas to fill 'er back up. Some simple division tells us that's 28 MPG. Since the EPA estimate says my car's supposed to get 22 MPG city and 31 MPG highway, I say that's pretty damn good. Next up, I'm driving like a bat out of hell to get the worst mileage I can while still feeling safe. This week I'm at 80 MPH, gunning it off the line, and throwing the brake pedal to the wind. I'll probably have the next report pretty soon at that rate. :)

No comments: