Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Payoff

OK, as promised I have whipped up my little payoff calculator into a usable form for web consumption. I decided that I hate having to work with Java applets for silly little web things like this (larger stuff is still cool) so I ported it to JavaScript and you can just see it below. Basically, the idea I started with was to see if you would ever pay off the difference between a "normal" car (eg. Corolla) and a very fuel efficient car (eg. Prius). Then I naturally wanted to know how long that would take. So I made this and it does not only the simple calculation, but also a little more by calculating how many months of free gas you could buy for the "normal" car if you invested the money you saved buying it at 5%, compounded monthly, which I'm told is a normal simple money market investment. Thanks to Kim for help on that latter part. Enjoy!

Payoff Calculator

Name:
City MPG:
Highway MPG:
MSRP:
Name:
City MPG:
Highway MPG:
MSRP:
Gas price per gallon:$
Sales tax factor:
Miles driven per year:


No comments: